Saturday, November 20, 2010

BIG NEWS.

It is Saturday afternoon and I should be putting up my Christmas tree. C and I did a little Christmas shopping this morning, and we do have Christmas music playing in the car! When C told his "daddo" that he heard Christmas music in mommy's car- Stuart was a little less than thrilled. He thinks it is wayyy too early for all that. However I think it is NEVER too early and I am totally in the mood to decorate. I had better get started before Stuart gets home from work so there will be no chance for turning back!

But before I do, I have to share some news!! No, I am no pregnant (darn it!), but I did find out the results from my National Boards yesterday. I PASSED!! This has been in the works for over a year. I began the process in July 2009. I have mentioned it a few times like in THIS POST. I turned in my portfolio in March 2010, took my exam in June 2010 and FINALLY found out the results yesterday. I was a nervous wreck all morning long. I knew that scores would be posted at 9:00 am and I could think of NOTHING else. At 9:00 I hopped on my computer in my classroom to see the numbers I have been dying to see and of course the server was too busy and I had to wait. I checked back every 30 seconds (hands shaking the entire time) until I finally got a screen that read:
CONGRATULATIONS!
You are a National Board Certified Teacher!

Of course I squealed and went to click where it said VIEW SCORES and the server went down AGAIN.
I panicked. I thought for sure it was a mistake. I had prepared myself that I had not passed. I had told myself it was a 3 year long process and I would be okay if I did not pass my first try. So, I had convinced myself that the 1st screen had been an error. Hands still shaking, I tried again. All I knew was to look for a number higher than 275 (passing score) and once I saw that my numbers were higher I jumped up out of my seat, began crying and ran out of the room! I was so excited. I know my 3rd graders thought I had lost it! It was a good thing my student teacher was there to explain to them what was going on and why their teacher was jumping up and down acting crazy!! :) It was a great feeling. I have wanted this for some time and I proved to myself that I could do it. I am the first person in my school to attempt it and I was nervous about that. I really wanted to prove that it could be done. I am so thrilled because this counts as my Rank 1- meaning I get a pay raise!, I do not have to do anymore school (unless I change my mind), and hopefully I have inspired many at my school (and hopefully some of you) to try it.
I was an awesome process. I worked very hard and I am so overjoyed that all that hard work paid off!!
So in celebration, I am going to transform my living room to Santa's Workshop! ha!
Thanks for all of your lovely comments and encouragement throughout this process. I must admit, I am one happy girl.

Teacher Friends-
For more information on becoming National Board Certified click HERE!

 , NBCT

5 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!! Your story sounds just like what happened to me! At about 9:00, I got a the "Congrats!" screen, but then I couldn't get any further (looking at me scores) until like 10:30, since it was so backed up. I made my teammate come into my room to verify that was what it said! We did it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! that is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Abby! That's awesome!! And I love the "NBCT" after your name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news! I'm sure it was a lot of hard work (especially the waiting). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! That is no easy task and you should be proud!

    By the way, you asked me if I am using The Daily 5 in my classroom - I am actually out of the classroom now and am a Literacy Resource Teacher with the district. But, we are implementing workshop into many of our classrooms this year and so I have a lot of teachers who are implementing it.


    My suggestion - go slow. Implement it one step at a time and only move on when your kiddos are ready. I think it will work beautifully in a 3rd grade room - I have a 1st grade teacher who is doing it and it rocks!

    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...