Sunday, August 5, 2012

Classroom Sneak Peek

Yes, I know that I only managed TWO posts in the month of July. Pitiful. However, I was trying to enjoy important things like summer trash TV, cleaning my house, and spending everyday with my babies. I have a few posts to catch up on and I will be combining the 10 and 11 month twin updates because yes, they are nearly 11 months old (GASP!). But for the last few weeks I have spent every spare minute I have had in my classroom. Working most days in the un-air conditioned nearly 90 year old building. But let me tell you that working in the un-air conditioned, nearly 90 year old building is MUCH EASIER this summer not being pregnant with two babies- in case you were curious. I have reminded myself that many times as I have worked in the heat. (side note: yes, our school has air conditioning- just not in the summer or at night when I have a chance to work)

This year I get the privilege of teaching 5th grade English/Language Arts again. This will be my second year on the 5th grade team and second year in room 204. I am thrilled to be working with the lovely ladies of 5th grade again because they make my job so much fun. They are great at what they do and great at making me laugh! Needless to say we usually have a good time. We are also not going to let the fact that we have 30 kids in each class and quite a few behavior problems ruin our fun either. I know it is going to be a great year in 5th grade.

Because I am in the same classroom, teaching the same grade it was a little easier moving in to my classroom this summer. Yes, we have to box up every year because of our beautiful floors. They have to be stripped and waxed each summer so we have to pack up and everything is taken out of our rooms. But this year I kept many things up on the wall that I just covered during testing to avoid having to re-hot glue it all back up. So glad for that. I have spent days working alone and a few days the babes joined me.

Tomorrow is our opening day and we have a county wide meeting in the morning, followed by meetings at school and a short while to work in our rooms on last minute things because kids start on TUESDAY!!! I can hardly believe that it is time. We had back to school night last Thursday and I met 20 of my 28 kids and most of their parents. It was a wild night as always and I was a little overwhelmed by talking to so many people and sharing so much important info in such a short amount of time, but it did get me excited for the year. I seem to have some real sweethearts and most of them seemed excited to come back too. Because we departmentalize I get to teach ELA to all three classes and I have had many of these kiddos in 3rd grade so it is great to see some familiar faces again. I can't wait to see how much they have grown since I saw them last.

My room is always a work in progress and there are soooo many things that I would like to do to it and many things on my pin boards that I would like to try too, but for now it is almost ready for my sweeties to arrive early Tuesday morning.

Here is a glimpse into my 5th grade classroom for the 2012-2013 school year. My 9th year teaching, my 7th year in this school and my 2nd year in 5th grade. Come on in and take a look.


Welcome- Here is the view from the door.

Here is the view from the back.

Front of the room.
My library/small group work area.

I finally got my class sets of chapter books organized this summer!

Yes, my babies are in a cage while I work...
The shelf beside my desk. Loaded up, organized and ready for action.

The wall directly to the right of the door. Board has space for student work and classroom Boggle.The shelf is for sorting papers by classroom, classroom materials and indoor recess games. The black shelf next to it is labeled for supplies like paper, extra crayons etc, and the pencil sharpener  sits on top. 

To the left of the door.
Schedule, calendar, birthdays, and Whole Brain Rules.
Printed the rules from HERE.

In case you were wondering, this is not a permanent fixture.
This is where the kids will sort the supplies they bring in to share with the class.
These are the boxes I had out for open house and I will leave them here for the first few days to allow them to put their supplies away and help keep the clutter away  on the first few days. 

My back to school hallway display!
YES, That is right. I hot glued a cape to the wall...
I was going to do owls but as I began to get it ready I noticed that 4 other teachers in my building were doing owls too so I went with plan B and used Clark's leftover supplies from his party (HERE) and went with it.
I got inspiration from The Teacher Wife  and I am pretty pleased with the outcome.

I have come up with some fun superhero activities thanks to my fiend Ginger and her TPT store that I will be using for the first few days. I am looking forward to Tuesday and hoping that the 5:30 am alarm clock is kind to me! Wish me luck!!!

In case you are interested on taking a walk down memory lane I have blogged about my classroom set up in the past HERE, HERE and HERE.








9 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Thank you so much for sharing this! This will be my second year teaching, however, I am moving to 5th grade after teaching 7th/8th last year. This post gave me so many ideas but I am also feeling very unprepared. Our school was under renovations and is still in the process of being cleaned. We can't get into the building until the 13th. Then we have a week of Pre-planning/meetings/curriculum mapping, etc and students start on the 21st. I have no idea what my classroom looks like, never stepped foot in the building (my interview was at a diff location due to renos, so didn't get a tour.) I am mildly freaking out right now! Still very excited though! I hope I can get my room looking like yours at SOME point during this year! Ha! Thanks for sharing- inspiring!

    Amber
    (alc316 on IG!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room looks great! Like you, I've spent the last several weeks getting everything ready. At this point I have a few minor things to do (which is on hold because some of my summer orders have not arrived yet...grr). We don't start until the 15th, so I have some time. Have a great first day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! I have GOT to get myself together. You have inspired me. Just as soon as I get my Grad paper done... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your room. I randomly stumbled across your blog...and am so glad I did. Can't wait to check it out further. I am in love with your room. The floors are awesome. Love the colors and set up! So neat and organized and your babies are adorable!

    I am new to the blogging world. I admit, I've stalked bloggers for a while, but have just recently started a blog. It's VERY sparse at the moment. But I hope to add to it as the year goes on.

    I chuckled at your comment about the owl theme. I started my owl theme like three years ago, when nobody was doing owls. And now, it's like they're everywhere. But with the time and money I have invested, I'm keeping the theme. ;)

    Susan
    polkadotroom@gmail.com
    owlroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um. Will you come organize my classroom? Pretty please??? ;) And...I LOVE that you work with your babes. That will totally be me next summer. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your babies in a cage! How adorable. I'm sure it was lovely having those smiling faces around while you were working. ALSO - your superhero is AMAZING! I absolutely love it. I'm going to have to marry someone with an "S" for a last name so I can duplicate!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your room is great, and the floors are beautiful! I student taught in an old school with gorgeous floors like that. I like your superhero, too

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great Abby! Thanks for the shout out! Your babies are precious!! =)

    Ginger Snaps

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...